Roasted Salmon with Orange-Ginger Glaze
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
INGREDIENTS:1 Salmon fillet
1 tbs Sweet Orange Marmalade (Smuckers)
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp finely ground ginger root
Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Place medium-sized skillet into the oven to preheat it.
3. Zest one orange.
4. Juice the orange and pour the juice into a small saucepan.
5. Add the orange marmalade to the saucepan and cook the mixture over medium heat until the liquid reduces by about 1/2 and becomes slightly thickened.
6. Stir into the saucepan the balsamic vinegar and ground ginger root and cook for one minute.
7. Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the glaze through a fine mesh strainer, collecting the orange glaze liquid in a small bowl. (The pulp that collects in the strainer can be discarded.)
8. Cut a piece of parchment paper to approximately the size of the skillet.
9. Pat the salmon dry and place skin-side down, season with salt and cracked black pepper. Lightly press the salt and pepper into the salmon so that it doesn't "float away" during the next step.
10. Using a spoon, distribute 1/2 the orange glaze liquid over the salmon.
11. Place the parchment paper into the heated skillet, and place the salmon skin-side down onto the parchment paper.
12. Bake the salmon for 10 to 15 minutes.
13. Spoon on and distribute the remaining orange glaze liquid over the salmon, and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.
FOOD PARING SUGGESTIONS:* 2010 Dr. Loosen Reisling (Mosel Saar Ruwer, Germany) (UPC 183103000013). Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
* Jacques Pépin's Skillet Sweet Potatoes
* Jacques Pépin's Ragout of Asparagus (watch the first 1:50 of the video)
QUOTABLE QUOTE:Never trust a skinny chef.